V-RayMtl Converter 3 — is a new version of the maxscript known as "VRayMtl Converter". This version is the next generation after version 2.5 and in comparison with the previous version new features and improvements appeared in this version: support for more materials, maps and other scene components, additional selection of materials for conversion, as well as more flexible options for converting and fixing the scene and its components.
V-RayMtl Converter converts the source materials to other specified material with the maximum possible preservation of the basic properties of the material, such as diffuse, specular, opacity (including filter), glossiness, roughness, bump, displacement, selfillumination (emission), translucency, reflection, refraction. Also, all the textures that are used for the above parameters are saved. As for special procedural maps, they are converted only if there is an analogue. Otherwise, the procedural maps remain as they are or are deleted if the target materials do not support them.
Concerning the accuracy of the conversion, we want to note that none of the existing converters can provide 100% accuracy of the conversion due to the fact that the principle of different rendering engines is different and sometimes significantly different. In this regard, the physical parameters of materials are also significantly different. Therefore, some complex, multi-component materials after using our converter are recommended to be checked again and adjusted manually, although this is often not required. But despite these, we tried to achieve the maximum possible accuracy of the conversion, which the our plugin provides an average of 95-98% (and in some cases 100%) and without exaggeration we can say that this is the best result!
Current version: 3.8
- rewritten the .exe installer for support to several versions of 3ds Max
- fixed issue of transferring selfillumination texturemap when converting from VRayMtl to Standard
- added baking of VrayColor and VrayCompTex maps to bitmap textures when converting from V-Ray materials to Standard
- fixed issue if Autodesk_Material is not recognized when converting from Standard materials (it happened if the Autodesk Material Library is not installed)
- some code optimization, improvements and fixed minor bugs
- added converting Corona Camera to V-Ray Physical Camera in "Advanced conversion" section
- fixed issue with checking the installed V-Ray version when starting the script
- added support for V-Ray Next
- added option for choice of how to converting CoronaBitmap: to VrayHDRI or to Standard Bitmaptexture
- added support for convert CoronaRoundEdges to VRayEdgesTex
- improved conversion CoronaFrontBack texturemap (creates a Vray2Sided material if this map is used in the diffuse slot)
- added convert CoronaLight with ies to VrayIES
- added option in "Advanced conversion" section for converting only selected Lights node
- added option in "Advanced conversion" section to selecting conversion type of the Standard Cameras (for Max 2016 and newer)
- some conversion improvements and code optimization
- add support for 3ds Max 2019
- added set "Glossy Fresnel" option to "On" for all V-Ray Materials in "Advanced Fix" section
- added clear "Effect ID" override for all V-Ray Materials in "Advanced Fix" section
- added set VRayFastSSS2 multiple scattering to "Raytraced" in "Advanced Fix" section
- improved and speedup work "Fix Normal bitmap textures to VRayNormalMap" option in "Advanced Fix" section
- changed licensing system for use in offline mode
- more optimized code and improving for conversions
- added support for NVIDIA iray material
- added converting objects with CoronaPortalMtl to V-Ray Mesh Lights as Skylight Portal
- added Show Texture maps in Viewport option
- added fix Albedo option for V-Ray Materials in "Advanced Fix" section
- added fix Blinn to Microfacet (GGX) shader type option for V-Ray Materials in "Advanced Fix" section
- improved conversion from Standard materials
- added support CoronaHairMtl
- added support CoronaSkinMtl
- added support CoronaBumpConverter
- added support CoronaDistance
- added support VRayHairMtl (basic)
- added support VrayBumpMtl (simple)
- added support VRayBmpFilter (basic)
- added support VRayBump2Normal (basic)
- adedd support VRayMultiSubTex (basic)
- added support VRayLut (basic)
- added support VRayUserColor (simple)
- added support VRayUserScalar (simple)
- added support VRayFakeFresnelTex (simple)
- added support VRayHairInfoTex (simple)
- fixed VRayColor2Bump conversion issue
- fixed support VrayNormalMap for V-Ray 3.3 and older
- improved support for CoronaNormal
- improved conversion to Standard material
- improved and rewrite licensing system
- added new advanced option for fix Normal bitmap textures to VRayNormalMap
- added new advanced option to set Gamma 1.0 for Standard Diffuse bitmaps
- added option for converting Standard opacity to V-Ray refraction
- added support conversion from Car_Paint_Material__mi
- added support conversion from VRayCarPaintMtl
- added support conversion from VRayColor2Bump to Bitmaptexture
- added support conversion from VrayDirt to ai_ambient_occlusion
- fixed saves names for Autodesk materials imported from Revit
- fixed some bugs and improved plugin performance
Main features and capabilities
Choose the direction of converting materials. Two options are available:
- All Supported Materials → V-Ray Materials [
This option intended for converting any materials used in the current scene (currently supported Standard, Raytrace, Corona, NVIDIA iray (unofficial), Brazil Advanced, finalRender, Arch&Design and some other materials) to V-Ray Materials. More detailed list of supported materials and maps can be seen by clicking on the |?| button located next to this dropdown menu or read now (open in a new window).
- V-Ray Materials → Standard Materials
This option intended for converting V-Ray materials used in the current scene to Standard materials.
This option is often used in the game developers and modelers and is very useful for this.
Materials to convert:
Choose which Materials want to convert. Six options are available:
- All Scene Materials [
Convert all supported materials and maps used in it (which are supported) in the current scene.
- Materials On Selected Object(s)
Converting all supported materials and maps used in it (which are supported) to selected objects only.
- Custom Selected Scene Material(s)
Convert materials and maps used in it (which are supported) selected from the list below.
Multiple choice of materials is available when you press the [Ctrl] or [Shift] key.
- Material from Selected MEdit Slot
Convert material and maps used in it (which are supported) only in the Selected Materials Editor Slot.
- All Materials in Material Editor
Convert materials and maps used in them (which are supported) in All available Material Editor Slots.
- Materials on Library File
Converting materials only in the selected material library file (*.mat).
When this option is selected, it becomes possible to select the desired library file from button bellow. As a result, a new file with the converted materials is created and saved in the same folder with a new name containing the word "_Converted".
A set of additional options for converting selected materials. Although these parameters are optional, but for ease of use, some of them are enabled by default.
It is also possible to include optional actions that can be made before and after the conversion process.
Currently, two options are available:
- Save Current State Of Scene Material
Enable this option to save the current state of the scene materials in order to undo the material conversion and return to the previous scene state from the:
[Main Menu → Tools → Manage Scene State ....]
- Switch To V-Ray Renderer After Converting
Enable this option for switch to V-Ray Renderer engine after Material Conversion if necessary.
In this rollout are additional tools that allow you to convert other components of the current scene, not just materials and maps.
For convenience these parameters divided into three subsections:
- Lights Conversion:
In this subsection, you can enable or disable the necessary options for converting lights and shadows.
For convenience, it is possible to choose whether to convert all lights in the current scene or only selected ones.
- Cameras Conversion:
In this subsection, you can enable or disable the necessary options for converting cameras.
For convenience, it is possible to choose whether to convert all standard cameras in the current scene or only selected ones.
Also, for users of 3ds Max 2016 version and later the option has been added to select the camera conversion direction: to V-Ray Physical Camera or to 3dsMax Physical Camera
- Corona Renderer Conversion:
This subsection is made specifically for converting of the some components used by Corona Renderer engine.
Currently, you can convert the Corona Camera to V-Ray Physical Camera, CoronaDisplacementMod to VRayDisplacementMod and Corona Proxy objects to V-Ray Proxy objects with the ability to save converted proxy files to the selected folder.
In this rollout, there are options that allow you to make some additional adjustments to your scene to improve or correct the existing capabilities of materials, maps and other scene components.
Currently, eight options are available in two subsections:
- Fix Normal bitmap textures to VRayNormalMap
With this option you can move all Normal Bitmap textures to the corresponding VRayNormalMap slot.
This is useful when material of imported objects from some other 3d-software directly uses Normal bitmap textures in the bump slot, which can lead to improper material rendered.
- Set VRayNormalMap Gamma value to 1.0
With this option you can set gamma 1.0 in all maps of the VRayNormalMap type used in the scene.
This is very useful when you use NormalMap, and the gamma settings you have are different from 1.0
- Fix Albedo for Diffuse color
With this option you can fix diffuse color Albedo for all V-Ray materials in the scene.
This is useful if Diffuse color of the material has a high value, which can lead to a significant increase in the rendering time and cause artifacts on the resulting image.
- Change Blinn to Microfacet GTR (GGX)
With this option you can change Blinn shader type to Microfacet GTR (GGX) shader type for all V-Ray materials in the scene.
- Set "Glossy Fresnel" option to "On"
With this option you can enable "Glossy Fresnel" option for all V-Ray materials in the scene.
- Clear "Effect ID" override
With this option you can switching off and clear "Effect ID" override option for all V-Ray materials in the scene.
- Set VRayFastSSS2 multiple scattering to "Raytraced"
With this option you can change the multiple scattering method to "Raytraced" for all VrayFastSSS2 materials in the scene.
This is useful to reduce render time when using DR and to eliminate scene crashes.
- Set Diffuse bitmap textures Gamma value to 1.0
This option is intended for change gamma value to 1.0 for all bitmap textures that are used as a Standard Diffuse map.
This is useful for correctly exporting materials to some other software that can not read bitmaps with other gamma than 1.0 (for example, Autodesk Fusion 360)
Software compatibility and reguirement
This script was written with support for most currently used 3ds Max versions and was tested using V-Ray Advanced 3.xx, but it probably will also work in other versions (although this is not guaranteed). Below is the current list of supported versions of 3ds Max and renderer engines:
- 3ds Max or 3ds Max Design: 2013-2019
- V-Ray: Advanced 3.xx.xx or V-Ray Next
- Corona Renderer: 1.6-1.7
- finalRender: 3.5 SE
- Brazil r/s: 1.2
NOTE: I hope you remember that for the conversion of materials between different renderer engines, a prerequisite is the presence of these renderer engines in your system. It is also necessary that you have an internet connection on your PC to validate the license while the script is first running and make sure that your firewall or antivirus does not block your 3ds Max to the internet connection.
How to install
Process of installing the V-RayMtl Converter 3 is very simple and does not require any special knowledge.
First be sure to have administrator privileges in order to be able to add files to 3dsMax sub-directories!
After downloading the archive you need to unzip the VrayMtlConverter3.exe file and run this installer as "Administartor", specifying of 3ds Max ROOT folder as the target. This will start the installation process of the script and all required components. After the installation is complete, run 3ds Max, go to [
Customize UI] settings, select [
3DZverTools] in the [
Category] drop-down list, below in the list you will see [
V-RayMtl Converter 3].
Then you can create button by move [
V-RayMtl Converter 3] to Main Toolbar or assign "hot keys" for run this script. It depends only on your desire and on how you used to work and organize your workspace.
How to check and download updates
After the release of the new update, all official users of V-RayMtl Converter 3 without fail receive informational letters in which, along with a list of changes and additions, there is also a link for downloading this update by clicking on which can download the archive with the latest version of V-RayMtl Converter 3.
In order to be aware of all outgoing updates, we recommend that all users periodically check their mailbox for our newsletters.
Also, to check for available updates and download them, each user of V-RayMtl Converter 3 can use the special
Check For Update] button, located in the [
About] section of the converter's UI: